Spring is here! Families across the country are getting ready to list their house now that the snow has melted, kids will be out of school soon, and the weather is pleasant enough to go house shopping.
At first glance, selling your house as a “for sale by owner” listing sounds like you would save a lot of money. Right?
The best way for you to get the right price is to enlist an experienced Realtor who knows the market and has systems in place to get the word out about your home.
A real estate agent also knows the legal ins and outs of selling a home.
But there are a lot of real estate agents out there.
How can you find the Realtor that is right for you?
- Ask family and friends for suggestions. The benefit of getting suggestions is that you hear a first-hand account of the Realtor’s work ethic. When you get a name suggested, ask what the person appreciated about the Realtor. This can give a complete picture of the real estate agent beyond the answer: “she was great!”
- Search online by searching “realtor near me.” Although your Realtor doesn’t need to live in the exact same town you do, they need to be close enough to be available to show your home.
- Check websites. Now that you have a list of some possible Realtors, start looking at their websites. Pay attention to any specialties the Realtor may have. Take note of any awards or recognitions the real estate agent has earned. The website will also tell the level of expertise of the Realtor and the number of years of experience.
- Check online testimonials. These can be on the Realtor’s website. They can also be on Google, social media, or Yelp.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your search to 3-4 favorites, invite each Realtor over to meet them in person. Ask about their procedures for listing your house. A good Realtor will have done their homework and have some suggestions for a listing price. Note their confidence level and their ability to clearly communicate. Both are vital traits for a competent Realtor. Ask them about their marketing plan to get the word out about your house. Your home will not sell at the best price unless potential buyers come to see it!
- After meeting the Realtors, decide who is the best fit for you.
Amy Shair has been an award-winning Realtor in residential real estate in the Raleigh/Durham area for over 20 years. Hundreds of sellers over the years have trusted her when it came time to sell their home. Amy Shair will work hard for you and will protect your best interests when listing your house for sale. She will take the time to let you know what to expect while your house is on the market and what happens between getting an offer and closing where your house sale is complete. Contact her today for a free consultation.